Saturday, July 26, 2008

COSTA RICAN ADVENTURES

Well I’m back, and as always I had a FAB time. I’m not sure why it takes so long between trips. I should make myself go more often. I am a better person for it. I forget that there is a whole world out there other than this small world here in Charleston. I do have the financial responsibilities of the shop and worrying about who will take care of things at home. But hey no one else worries. It must be nice....

As I explained to the youngest of our travel party (nine total- spanning a 40 year age difference)
We had the Whole Package Tour! both good and bad. It was wonderful hearing her explain to her mother the concept of the Whole Package Tour. That in her getting bitten by fire ants made everything else better or more an adventure. We did get the Whole Package Tour. Incredible vistas, unbelievable flowers and plants, wonderful people, great food and cold cold cerveza! Then the not so nice, Worst roads I have ever seen, fire ants, bad water pressure, no hot water, loss of power for over 12 hours....(I will say it was in the other house not the guest house I was staying in)
More than one mishap with Europcar Rentals in San Jose... The other car , The one we rented from Europcar lost its brakes as we were going over the continental divide, yes, the car with the children in it... I hate to say say it but in the future I would tell everyone to avoid Europcar Rentals. One mishap is OK but the the whole trip it was one thing after another, no apologies, no explanations. I can go on and will if needed. Then as reported this morning ( some of the party is still there) There was a snake incident.

I can say I had some of the best laughs I have had in quite a long time and if you know me I love meeting new people so I was in my element. I do wish we could have found a Map shop or an Antiquarian Book Shop.
It is remarkable to think that so much of what we saw was illustrated here in my little print shop. Illustrated in the hundreds of Natural History engravings and lithographs, painted and printed over a hundred years ago by earlier eyes... eyes like ours seeing these plants and animals for the first time in life.....
The whole expedition, left to right- Steve, Tom, Alex, Julia, Laura
(Lisa's Sister), Maddy, Lisa, and Myself. I know I look out of sorts & mad. I wasn't .....just very hot. I have no idea where Sally, my sister was ...she was supposed to be in the picture. I'll see if anyone else took a better picture and post that one.

No comments: